First trip to the ER with a newly remodeled skull

Yep. It happened. Our first trip to the emergency room. I expected this day would come. However, not as soon as it did and definitely not while I was right there with her.

To make what could be a long story shorter, here's an overview of the incident:
Rylen pulled on some party decorations which were hanging on a large metal Christmas tree stand. The stand, the decorations, and a storage bin all came tumbling down on top of her. I was less than 2 feet away from her, and I wasn't able to stop it from happening. She didn't cry, not at first. She was just there, in the midst of the pile when I picked her up. It took about 20-30 seconds for me to realize she was bleeding. When I saw where the blood was coming from, my heart sunk. She had a gash in her head. That skull that was perfectly remodeled less than a year ago had been hit, hard.

 Thankfully she didn't have a concussion. By the time we got to the emergency room she was fine, except for the gash. She was given some Tylenol and 10 staples to close the 2 1/2 inch wound. 

After the first night she didn't seem to notice the staples being there and continued on with her normal routine. 9 days later we had them removed. I think it was more traumatizing for her to be strapped to a board then the actual removal of the staples. She was checked out by her neurosurgeon's team, and everything is fine. Even so, I sincerely hope this is it for head wounds. Let's never do that again!

My baby girl will now have another scar on her beautiful head. I hope one day she understands that having scars are okay. After all, Scars do have better stories than tattoos, right? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How we discovered our baby had Craniosynostosis

Rylen's Sagittal Cranial Vault Reconstruction Surgery Recap

Is it because of craniosynostosis?