Is it because of craniosynostosis?

Whats normal and what's not? I think that's a question every parent asks more than once during their child's lifetime. My, now 19 month old daughter, has developed certain physical aspects that I now find myself wondering "Would she have _______ if she didn't have craniosynostosis? Or is this something that most kids have? In my surveys I have asked if other parents have noticed their children having such "markers" as Hemangiomas, Y shaped gluetal clefts, and Mongolian spots. It doesn't seem to be that much more common in cranio kids then in the rest of the population. So I decided to google it. Here is what I found (let's hope this information is accurate)

What percentage of babies have Hemangiomas?  Roughly 13% however about 80% of babies have some sort of birth mark?

Mongolian spot?  95 to 100 percent of Asian, 90 to 95 percent of East African, 85 to 90 percent of Native American, and 50 to 70 percent of Hispanic babies have them.  I couldn't find an exact percentage among Caucasians, only  that it is rare. *this is something I was also born with*

Y shaped Gluetal cleft? I couldn't find a trustworthy number. From what I could find I'm going to go with 5%


Sugar bug vein? (Blue vein across bridge area of the nose)  All I could find was "this is a pretty common trait"


Keratosis pilaris? 50-80 % of adolescents. 


Midline defects? 62% 

Dark circles under the eyes? Hard to find a trustworthy number as well but somewhere between 6 and 17% 


Baby teeth that are close together and hardly leave any space between. I couldn't find anything but "fairly common" 


Cradle cap into toddler years and beyond? About 20% 


Head butt/bang their heads? Up to 20%


Now the question I am left with is at what percent is something considered common? 10%? 20%? 50%? 75%?


I had to poll the cranio community and these are the results of what I will consider "normal" for cranio kids

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How we discovered our baby had Craniosynostosis

Rylen's Sagittal Cranial Vault Reconstruction Surgery Recap